Monday, January 17, 2011

Compostions

There are many different rules for a composition. My favorite out of them all is the rule that you can "break all the rules." But like the article says, it's good to know the fundamentals of a good composition so that you are able to break the rules gracefully and in an attractive way. No one likes just a random, horribly composed photograph. :) It is fun however, to use the basic rules to create your own individual image, by thinking "outside of the box."

After learning the basic rules of a composition, it is amazing how it just becomes second nature. Even when I am not intending to use one of the rules in my photographs, I find that I am placing my subjects and my frame, subconsciously according to one of the rules of composition. I find myself using these ones most often: Leading Lines, Framing, Rule of Thirds, Golden Rule, and Diagonal Lines.



When it comes to composing with color, I am more tempted to use vibrant, almost fantasy like colors. I love bumping the saturation and vibrancy to make an image really stand out.

When dealing with black and white images, I tend to use higher contrast in my images. I really like playing with the clarity in black and whites as well, making things pop even more dramatically... with the high contrast and high clarity. For weddings, however, there is a time when a softer, more "romantic" image is nice for a little change. I use a lower clarity and softer contrast when feeling the mood the picture creates requires it.


http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1210/ab1210-1.html

In this next article, I am also a fan of the first definition of composition he has up... that "composition is the strongest way of seeing." I don't know what Edward Weston's thought process was exactly when he came up with that.. but to me it means that having a really good composition in front of you draws your attention to elements the eye misses or takes for granted when seeing in person. Textures for example is something that I can totally miss seeing in person when looking at a beautiful landscape or view. Also, a good composition will draw the eye in to seeing what the most exciting part of a landscape or view might be... forcefully drawing you to a scene in a photograph, where as there are so many distractions in looking at things through the naked eye, in real life.


Another great article to read:

No comments:

Post a Comment